Travel to new and interesting places, visit new and interesting instances, and die in new and interesting ways.
- Dagger call to arms every expansion
It is currently Dec Sat 14, 2019 5:40 am
Used for testing out new Signatures and home of Vincent's Graphical Signature Shop, Ltd.
Gimilz's Sig   

PostPosted on Apr Wed 19, 2006 9:19 am : Gimilz's Sig

So Vincent, i'd love to see if you could tackle a wonderful sig image for my beloved drunken Paladin with Aggro problems :p

Things I need to know before I can begin:
- How do you want to be presented? I'd like to be remembered in more of a whimsical way than serious.

- Any special symbols you want? As for Mob's, Going against Undead or better yet, the largest single target mob in the game, like a world Dragon or one of the Giant T-Rex's in Ungoro. And a scene of him getting drunk as all hell.

- What do you want it to say? I'd like it to have Paladin of the Silver daggers in it, and some sort of whitty comments or two in it.

- What kind of scene do you want? Fighting, Drinking, being suicidal.

- If you're a Dagger, you host your own graphics or do you want me to host them for you at http://www.silverdaggers.net? You can go ahead and host it on silverdaggers.net

Plus, if you feel something else would be better, i'd totally take your artisitic eye over mine. Lets see what we can come up with. :) I'll be open for getting screenshots with you whenever you have some time :)
I love Lamp!

Gimilz

PostPosted on Apr Wed 19, 2006 9:54 am : Re: Gimilz's Sig

Grab me soon as I get in-game and I'm usually free -- unless there's a raid scheduled (ergo fri/sat are prolly bad).

I'll try to get in-game tonight (wed)
Vincent
Clan Chieftain

PostPosted on May Wed 10, 2006 6:18 pm : Re: Gimilz's Sig

First treatment...graphics worked I think but the text and such is...meh, I'm sure I can do better when my brain's working.

http://www.silverdaggers.net/sigs/wow_gimilz.jpg

Vincent
Clan Chieftain

PostPosted on May Wed 10, 2006 7:28 pm : Re: Gimilz's Sig

I like the concept of it so far, but it would be even funnier if you had him saying some text. Don't know how ya'd fit it in, but i'm sure you could do something.
I love Lamp!

Gimilz

PostPosted on May Wed 10, 2006 7:31 pm : Re: Gimilz's Sig

I don't know, Gim.. I think text would be overdoing it, my imagination started filling in what was being said as the screenshots used are extremely evocative.
Dinruth

PostPosted on May Thu 11, 2006 8:50 am : Re: Gimilz's Sig

I had some text in mind -- took about 20 screenshots to get the right arm position -- but I usually put in text last. Once I had the shot of ungoro done and the thought buggle for the bartender...every time I tried to put in text it just...seemed out of balance. The quietness of it all was just funnier.

I was gonna have mouse thinking "is..is that a rabbit bone in his beard?" or "I'm going for his wallet when he gets to the next bit" or maybe "*gasp*" or "My hero" or something...but it just seemed to take away from it all and wind up either less funny or just like it was disturbing the moment.

Looking it again, it would be funnier if mouse was also thinking the same thing as the bartender.

I think the whole "humble" vs "name up in lights" thing just doens't work though. Its a distraction from the action of one tale vs another.

I was thinking I would replace the text there with something like "Gimilz, retelling his "it was so tall!" tale" (play off the 'tall-tale' blanket stretching business) but....still seems like pointing at the techicolor penquin.

My original idea was to have mouse 'whispering' the 'run away' but I couldn't figure out how the hell to convey "whispering" well...dotted lines was the best I could come up with.
Vincent
Clan Chieftain

PostPosted on May Thu 11, 2006 7:08 pm : Re: Gimilz's Sig

*nods* Maybe if you change the humble line at the bottom it'll be perfect!
I love Lamp!

Gimilz

PostPosted on May Fri 12, 2006 9:54 am : Re: Gimilz's Sig

I'm going to play with the texting first chance I get. I've several approaches to take so prolly have several samples to look at and see what is/isn't working and refine it a bit more. The whole "bling" thing just doesn't seem to work the more I look at it.

I've some ideas (likely half-baked) for the graphics too, to heighten the joke. Have to see how well I can pull them off, if at all.
Vincent
Clan Chieftain

PostPosted on May Fri 12, 2006 11:46 am : Re: Gimilz's Sig

hehe, awesome! I look forward to seeing them :)
I love Lamp!

Gimilz

PostPosted on May Fri 12, 2006 5:09 pm : Re: Gimilz's Sig

Another treatment (changed bubble graphics and one of the text variants)

http://www.silverdaggers.net/sigs/wow_gimilz2.jpg

Vincent
Clan Chieftain

PostPosted on May Fri 12, 2006 7:27 pm : Re: Gimilz's Sig

That looks alot better with the text, but the phrase just doesn't catch me quite right. Perhaps something more along the lines of "Only trust him as far as you can throw him"? or "He's full of it, both beer and crap."

Also i'm wondering if the extra legs or not actually help. It seems a bit tooo busy maybe....not sure.

Thoughts?
I love Lamp!

Gimilz

PostPosted on May Fri 12, 2006 8:35 pm : Re: Gimilz's Sig

Gimilz likes his tales like his tankards: TALL

I need to spend a while looking at it to see what works or doesn't with the graphic. I"m thinking 'less is more' honestly, the joke seems diminished by the others.

I can't find a way to write "Gimilz" that works for me either.
Vincent
Clan Chieftain

PostPosted on May Sun 14, 2006 2:37 am : Re: Gimilz's Sig

An opinion, if you dont mind Gimilz and Vincent:

First, regarding the legs, the one with only one set of giant-dinasaur legs was better in my opinion. Already quite a bit to look at, and it gets the point across pretty clearly.

Second, Vincent, I think that idea for text is hillarious, but there is 1 piece of word choice I didn't like. That would be the word "like" which sounds clunky used twice in a fairly short sentance. Unless Gimilz is a Valley Girl dwarven paladin, in which case, keep it :lolsign:

Otherwise, perhaps "Gimilz enjoys his tales like his tankards: TALL"
Prius

PostPosted on May Sun 14, 2006 5:11 pm : Re: Gimilz's Sig

I ment to play off the over-use of the word from the old cliche` commercial but didn't type it properly ("he likes is X like he likes his Y") -- nor would I have put it in that way. My own stupid fault but I have something of a space problem I'm trying to think how to fix.

I want to play off the word "TALL" by distorting the paths in the word but I keep not having enough room for doing that well. I might have to re-do the right-hand mask.

As to the left-hand graphic, like I said above, I think doesn't work, mostly b/c it breaks the 1-to-1 coreleation which is actually funnier when there's no words...if we put text in, then the multiple legs work better. And I still think it works better w/o words b/c you can supply your own dialog to what's funny to the reader. "...huuuuuuuuuge..." is about the only text that works there and it's redundant too.

I think I need to punch up the graphics a bit though, fiddle with the color masking or something. Should be able to do that a bit better in a few days (may even revisit yours a bit)

This is one of the hardest type of .sigs to do...you got 90% of a great idea up front and then try to work everything else into that last 10% and sometimes it's hard not to upset the apple cart.

I keep going minimalist too when I think of it.
"Gimilz: Paladin-Bard of the Silver Daggers"
"Gimilz: Paladin/Bard of the Silver Daggers"
"Gimilz: Paladin & Bard of the Silver Daggers"

It's Gimilz's sig so I might do what I've done before: make one that he likes most (text or whatever) and make one I like for my archives. :)
Vincent
Clan Chieftain

PostPosted on May Sun 14, 2006 8:30 pm : Re: Gimilz's Sig

Hehe, thats true Mouse. Either way, i'd love to see what it looks like you're going to make a great sig :)
I love Lamp!

Gimilz

PostPosted on May Mon 15, 2006 1:06 pm : Re: Gimilz's Sig

Ok, I like this treatment a bit better...but it's still misfiring at some level. I think it's the better color in the background pic. And I think the ungoro glow has to go...*sigh* I should really put these things on a black background before I UL them to the forum...what looks good on the editor doesn't always look good on the page. Bah.

http://www.silverdaggers.net/sigs/wow_gimilz2a.jpg

Vincent
Clan Chieftain

PostPosted on May Tue 16, 2006 11:22 pm : Re: Gimilz's Sig

Very Very close, just some color issues at the moment.

Am i casting a spell on the left picture, or whats going on there anyways?

Other than that, it looks awesome now!
I love Lamp!

Gimilz

PostPosted on May Wed 17, 2006 2:16 pm : Re: Gimilz's Sig

I have no idea what you're doing over there, I was just trying to frame some shots of big chicken feet.

What color issues? (again, your .sig so you tell me)
Vincent
Clan Chieftain

PostPosted on May Wed 17, 2006 3:36 pm : Re: Gimilz's Sig

Eh, i'm hallucinating. It looks Perfect now!

Thanks Mouse!!!
I love Lamp!

Gimilz